Ad

Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Windows Vs Linux

Even though I do all my work on a two year old HP Windows laptop, I have an old eMachines desktop that I've been threatening to upgrade to Linux for years. I got it from a friend that bought it new almost 10 years ago. It originally came with Windows Vista. I finally put Windows 7 on it about a year ago. But now Win 7 is reaching end of support on 14 January 2020.

I'm quite familiar with MS's end of support cycles. I started out with Win 3.1 on a Packard Bell. Which was cutting edge for me then. I had been using Commodore computers before that. But since the eMachines is still a working product, I'd much rather upgrade it to Linux. This way I'll know that the machine will be stable, rather than trying to shoehorn Win 10.

I very much enjoy working in Windows. But... Ah, where to begin? Since Microsoft has been guiding everyone to the cloud, Windows has made some significant changes. They haven't affected me to badly, but I'm concerned that if I make changes on files in One Drive, their online storage system, it possibly changes the file on the C: drive. I have done stupid things in the past like delete whole folders, and then find that the folder is missing on the machine. Fortunately I keep a master backup on a USB drive. Google has done this to me as well.

Linux, as far as I know, has no cloud storage feature, unless you use One Drive or Google's cloud through the web browser. This is what I think is best for me right now. I need to be able to control what I send to the cloud, and when. I really don't need EVERYTHING in the cloud. I'll fill you in on how the instillation goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment